Cactus Garden and Research Center in Panchkula, Haryana
Cactus Garden and Research Center in Panchkula, Haryana is located in sector 5 Panchkula, near to the Shalimar Mall. This famous cactus garden in the tricity (Panchkula, Chandigarh & Mohali) is also known as National Cactus, Succulent Botanical Gardens and Research Center. This garden was developed in 1987 with an aim to grow and conserve the most endangered and rare species of cactus and succulents. An aim which the garden and fulfilled successfully since it was developed in 1897.
National Cactus, Succulent Botanical Gardens and Research Center in Panchkula contains more than three thousand five hundred species of succulents and cacti (most of those are rare & endangered ones. Garden is proudly largest outdoor cactus and succulents garden in Asia. It also contains largest collection of Indian succulents in the world.
Architect of the garden: Dr J.S. Sarkaria is the chief architect of the garden and he also donated a large number of species.
Entry Fees: One need to pay a nominal fees of Rs 10 per head for entry to the garden and which is worth it as you will not only see a large variety of cactus but can also find some beautiful birds which you may not have seen in your apartment or the concrete jungles (far from nature) in which we live nowadays.
Cactus Show: Annual cactus show is held in the month of March and people across the region not only visit the festival but participate in large number as well.
Some of the features of the Cactus Garden, Panchkula
- Largest outdoor cactus garden in Asia
- Largest collection of Indian Succulent
- Echinocactus grusonii is mainly used as landscape plant
- Burseraa spicies of Mexican origin can be found here
- Some cactus are as high as 40feet
- Large variety of rare and endangered species
- 3 species of Fouquiria spendens – Cactus from Arizona
- Adenia Venenata species can be found here which is said to be collected from Yemen itself
- Plants are also available for sale, so if you love anyone and want to take it home, you are free to do so.
- Original name was Cactus Garden and then renamed to National Cactus and Succulent Botanical Garden and Research Centre
- More than 3500 species of Cacti & succulents can be found here
- This is the first time in my life that when I left the garden I wish or rather plan to visit it again. Such is the charm of this small but magnificent garden. And yes next time I’ll take my professional camera to get some close click of all the cactus and other plants over there.
- No love birds or couple occupying the corners of the garden so you can visit the garden with your kids and family. Perhaps cactus gardens doesn’y give those comfortable hiding zones to the couples (Jokes apart I must say you should visit this garden at least once when you are in or around Panchkula)
Other places to visit nearby: ·
- Rose Garden In Chandigarh
- Pinjore Garden
- Chatbir Zoo Chandigarh
- Funcity – water park
- Rock Garden
- Sukhna Lake
- Nabha Shahib Gurudwara